As of late, Ms. Blakespear’s actions indicate a kind of confusion.When frustrated, and this goes back to her captaincy as a point guard of the Women’s Basketball team at Torrey Pines where reportedly she would suffer a tizzy every time the Coach pulled her of the court to either let her catch her breath or for some ‘counseling’ about actually passing the ball around to the other players: reportedly, something similar happens at City Hall when Councilor Blakespear doesn’t get her way.
Recently, in June of 2016; Catherine, at her wits-end as HOW to get ‘Her Way’ again, didn’t throw a tizzy, but went back on an agreement with the City Manager and her peers on the dais. Even though Mayor Kristin Gaspar, completely empowered legally yo approve or disapprove of HOW the volunteers would be determined for a new Working-Group Catherine was demanding called a Coastal Mobility and Livability Working Group; graciously, Mayor Gaspar when approached by the City Manager, agreed to give up her power of ‘NO’ over choosing volunteers, allowing, in agreement with the other 4 councilors, to allow the Vendor who would be overseeing the Mobility and Walkability Plan to read and evaluate 50 plus applications and then choose from 10 to 15 volunteers completely without bias; no harm, no foul. In this way, no one councilperson could pack the group with a majority that were biased before the Group even met.
Instead of keeping her word and honoring her agreement with the City Manager and her peers, especially the Mayor who had given up her oversight powers; once again, Catherine violated the City’ and State’s Open-Meetings Act; and conspired with the Leucadia Town Council to kick out half of the volunteers who were Vendor-chosen to be seated on the Working-Group: many of whom were actually seated in the Council-Chambers when Catherine Blakespear began taking actions that prove from now on that she cannot be trusted, nor is her ‘Word’ any good.
WHAT DOES A POTENTIAL VOTER NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE RAIL TRAIL AND THE COASTAL MOBILITY AND LIVABILITY WORKING GROUP?
1) First, with little outreach into Cardiff to begin with, Catherine voted to rejuvenate a decades-old Coastal Rail Trail failed-idea in order to create new wider bike lanes and walking paths from downtown Cardiff along San Elijo Avenue and onto Vulcan Ave. and City Hall.
2) After nearly a year’s time, with the public determining that Catherine, Lisa and Tony approved a plan for the Rail Trail with very little description and with absolutely no drawings to show residents in Cardiff/Encinitas how intrusive the design would be; a NO RAIL TRAIL Group was formed and over a month 1500 resident-protesting e-mails were forwarded to City Hall, resulting in:
3) Buckling under the pressure brought on by NO RAIL TRAIL’S 1500; Catherine requests a Council Hearing for reconsideration on the location of the rail trail; both Catherine and Tony at this time change their vote and flip-flop in the face of so many voters pressuring them right before an election that calls for filling 4 out of 5 of the City Council Seats.
You would reason that this act of reconsideration would be enough to calm the waters in Cardiff; but you would be wrong because you don’t know Catherine;
4) Instead of concentrating on her chances of becoming the second directly-elected Mayor of Encinitas; she demands an citizen-oversight group to advise the council on just WHAT should be done in Cardiff as far as mobility and livability: these are Smart Growth terms Urban Planner from enormous municipalities use to re-purpose cities that have failed in the North East. The two terms in italics above are part of a cult-planning idea that literally takes private-parking places away at your destination shopping centers in Encinitas: AND, has as the Complete-Streets Plan approved by Catherine, Tony and Lisa, calls for literally increasing traffic, by consciously creating Gridlock in order to force people out of their cars, to walk and hence, become healthier. This is serious and not in any way facetious; this IS their plan. But back to the candidate for Mayor 2016.
*Because Encinitas has a divided City Council neither side trusting the other, the City Manager approached Mayor Gaspar and suggested they allow the vendor/consultant who has been hired to execute the Mobility and Livability Plan; so, 50-Plus citizen-volunteer applications to serve on this ad hoc Working Group; and in this way, there would be no bias in the choices of who would serve on the Working Group.
Unfortunately, the evening when the City Council was to approve the unbiased list of names chosen to serve on the Working Group (June 14, 2016); Catherine Blakespear once-again showed her true character and as the public was allowed to join in, up to the Council Chambers microphone came Kathleen Lees, a member of both the Leucadia Town Council and Citizens for a Rural Leucadia (No joke here; its a real thing) informed those in attendance and watching at home that instead of keeping her word and allowing the City Manager/Vendor to make unbiased choices; Catherine had been working the phones the day before this meeting with her peers on the dais and several well-known political extremists; Lees mistakenly outted Catherine, who along with Kranz and Shaffer bulled their way through the Agenda Item replacing many of the appointed volunteers (most of whom) were sitting in the audience; replacing them with friends and financial donors to Catherine’s campaign
Catherine’s Goal for backstabbing both the Mayor and the City Manager? Getting the ‘right’ people on the Working Group; that would follow her lead and call for relocating the unnecessary and expensive
Coastal Rail Trail up on San Elijo Avenue; where Catherine and Tony are going back on their word, allowing them to use a Straw Man argument of “We didn’t choose to move the rail trail back up to San Elijo; the Working Group did!” Also VERY apparent was not just such callousness on Catherine’s part; but that she clearly must believe that she will get away with this kind of behavior and still be elected directly to the Mayor’s Seat.
Wonder how many of those 1500 Cardiffians will be walking the precincts against Catherine’s pursuit of relocating the Coastal Rail Trail back up on San Elijo Avenue?
OUTREACH DATA TO DOCUMENT THE OPINION PIECE/REPORTAGE ABOVE FROM THE FOLKS AT NO RAIL TRAIL Original Article in the Seaside Courier
Neighbors and Friends…
You may have heard that NoRailTrail has temporarily dropped out of the City’s Rail Corridor Working Group, and you may have seen some yard signs going back up. Here’s why…
To summarize, (see here for details) Councilmember & Mayoral candidate Catherine Blakespear proposed a ‘citizens working group’ to oversee our entire rail corridor – including the Cardiff portion of the Rail Trail. To insure the process was open and transparent, the Council hired a consultant to review applications and select a group of qualified residents for the ‘citizens group’ that would be representative of the whole community.
But Blakespear disregarded the work of the consultant and colluded with supporters to create a secret personal list made up of her campaign contributors and members of YES on the Rail Trail, which the Council Majority then approved (Muir & Gaspar voted No). Because of this, we now know that the selection process was not open, not fair and especially not honest. But, after doing some basic fact checking on the members of both lists, we believe the process was completely rigged by the untrustworthy Catherine Blakespear.
The demographics of Blakespear’s secret list:
– 7 people were removed from the original consultant’s list by Blakespear:
– None of those removed were campaign contributors to Blakespear’s campaign.
– None removed were from the YES on the Rail Trail group.
– 7 people from the consultant’s list were carried over to her new list:
– 3 are Blakespear campaign contributors ($100, $100, $250)
– 2 are Yes on Rail Trail (certified by public statements) supporters.
– 1 slot was kept for the NoRailTrail group, but she cut the vendor-chosen representative and replaced him with another, who then resigned in protest.
– 7 NEW people were added by Blakespear for her new list (note – some are in more than 1 group):
– 3 are campaign contributors ($500, $250, $250)
– 3 are hosting or have hosted Meet & Greet Blakespear events at their homes
– 2 are YES on the Rail Trail members.
– 3 are political appointees (City Commissioners who were later demoted by Council to a non-voting role – 1 of these is hosting a campaign event at their home including Traffic Commission Chair Brian Grover who also serves as President of BikeWalk Encinitas a bicycle; meaning that recommendations from the Working-Group will then be forwarded to the Traffic Commission, where the Chair will be voting on advice to the Encinitas City Council and once the advice is approved, Brian Grover’s Engineering firm, Dudek and Associates will be allowed to bid on the projects that are born from this Working Group’s results that Mr. Grover will help design; YES, Brian Grover and Dudek and Associates held a fund-raiser for Catherine Blakspear a week or so ago.
75% of the new Working Group are either Blakespear campaign contributors or Yes on Rail Trail.
100% of those she added to her new list were either campaign contributors or Yes on Rail Trail.
ALL of those she dropped from the consultant’s list either did NOT contribute to her campaign or are NOT affiliated with YES on the Rail Trail.
The only recourse for NoRailTrail is to protest this rigged process by formally resigning from the Working Group List. We have been asked by the City to fill our vacant slot with another member of our choosing but we must finish analyzing a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) report and determine whether any illegal and/or unethical actions have taken place before we consider appointing a member to this Group. In the meantime, we will be attending the Working Group’s meetings as members of the public (who are allowed to speak). Side note: the City’s new name for the working group is the Coastal Mobility and Livability Working Group or CMLWG.
Actions Speak Louder Than Words
With these Working Group shenanigans, Blakespear’s statements showing her willingness to re-visit the EAST side, along with the City’s desire to accelerate the Montgomery at-grade crossing (including wayside horns), we now recognize that many, if not all the 1500 residents who sent e-mails to City Hall protesting the location of the Rail Trail on the Eastern side of San Elijo need to get involved again. Catherine and Tony Kranz are determined to make Lisa Shaffer’s desire for a ‘Legacy’ to leave behind after her 4 years of tumultuous leadership from the Encinitas dais.
Those who wish to volunteer to walk their street and neighborhood to inform the many folks who are too busy to follow these City Hall shenanigans; please contact NO RAIL TRAIL.